Lesson 1: Reading Strategies: Literary Fiction
Lesson 2: Short Stories
Lesson 3: Biography and Autobiography
Lesson 4: Fables and Myths
Lesson 5: Reading Strategies: Informational Text
Lesson 6: Grammar and Language Workshop
Lesson 7: Argument and Persuasion
What You Should Already Know
There are no prerequisites for this course, but you should have basic seventh-grade-level reading, writing, and grammar skills.
This course will enable you to continue your growth as an effective reader and communicator. In this course you will learn to do the following:
- Apply effective reading strategies to both literary fiction and informational text.
- Analyze characteristics of short stories, traditional stories, and nonfiction writing.
- Refine writing and persuasive skills by composing papers and giving presentations.
- Use correct grammar and language conventions in your own compositions.
- Expand and enrich your vocabulary by applying word-mastery strategies.
This course requires no additional textbook; however, we will read and discuss a novel throughout the course, which you must acquire:
Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick