RETURN TO COURSE CATALOG
Math 8: Semester 2
Description. In this course students will study topics such as analyzing triangles and the distance between points, finding the measure of angles formed by a transversal and polygons, using different transformations to move figures on a coordinate plane, determining if figures are similar or congruent using transformations, finding the volume and missing measures of various shapes (cylinders, cones, hemispheres, spheres, and composite figures), and interpreting two-way tables and scatter plots with trend lines.
Credit Hours: .5
Price: $250 [$200.00 Course Fee | $50.00 Admin Fee]
Subjects: Middle School
After you have successfully completed this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Simplify roots and solve equations with roots; use radicals in the Pythagorean theorem to analyze triangles and the distance between points.
- Evaluate the relationship between angles and find the measure of angles formed by a transversal and polygons.
- Use different transformations to move figures on a coordinate plane.
- Determine if figures are similar or congruent using transformations and informal arguments.
- Find the volume and missing measures of cylinders, cones, hemispheres, spheres, and composite figures.
- Construct and interpret two-way tables, including their relative frequencies; construct and interpret scatter plots and lines of best fit (trend lines) and then make predictions using the information.
Glencoe Math, Your Common Core Edition (Course 3, Volume 2). 1st ed. McGraw-Hill Education, 2013. ISBN: 978-0-07-661904-7.
Texas Instruments Explorer 30 (TI-30) or other graphing calculator with similar capabilities; this is the same calculator used in MATH 035.