RETURN TO COURSE CATALOG
Description: In this non-mathematical look at astronomy, students will learn what people have traditionally thought about space and how scientists currently study it. Throughout this course, students will develop a basic knowledge of astronomy, both historical and observational; will acquire an appreciation for the night sky; and will understand how astronomers study the universe, exercising some of those skills first-hand.
- Observing the Night Sky
2. Historical Highlights in Astronomy
3. The Solar System: The Terrestrial Planets
4: The Solar System—Jovian Planets, Comets, Asteroids, etc.
5: The Sun and Other Stars
Upon successful completion of this course, you should have done the following:
- Developed a basic knowledge of astronomy, both historical and observational.
- Acquired an appreciation for astronomy and the night skies.
- Learn how astronomers study the universe and exercise some of those skills yourself.
This course is self-contained. You do not need a separate astronomy book to complete the units.
Access to a computer and internet access.