Lesson 1: Theme
Lesson 2: Poetry
Lesson 3: Shakespeare
Lesson 4: Literary Genres
Lesson 5: Research
Lesson 6: Publishing
What You Should Already Know
The prerequisite for English 33 is English 31: Seventh-Grade English 1, or a seventh-grade equivalent.
This course will enable you to continue your growth as an effective reader and communicator. Here are the main learning outcomes of this course:
- Identify themes in literature, as well as the presence of imagery, symbols, and figurative language.
- Analyze techniques in poetry that intensify and enrich the experience of language; memorize and recite a poem using effective presentation skills.
- Compare the characteristics of selected genres in literature, including science fiction, fantasy, historical fiction, and dystopian literature.
- Read and interpret Shakespearean sonnets and excerpts from a play.
- Use the steps of inquiry and research to investigate your world; compose a research paper that develops a well-supported thesis and avoids plagiarism by citing sources.
- Apply reading and writing strategies by reading a novel and identifying the key ideas and questions it raises.
- Expand and enrich your vocabulary by learning word-mastery strategies.
This course requires no additional textbook; however, we will read and discuss a novel throughout the course, which you must acquire:
The Giver by Lois Lowry